Thursday, September 1, 2011

Too Cynical? Too Skeptical?

I have been embroiled in a heavy curtain of darkness for the last two weeks.  It is said that we do not fight battles of the flesh, but in the spiritual realm and while this battle seemed to be of the flesh, its beginning and end is in my spirit.  Just this morning as I read Psalm 119, which is the lengthiest psalm out there, the verse I chose as having the most meaning to me was verse 107 and it reads “Everything’s falling apart on me God.  Put me together again with your word.”  Today’s Psalm furthered that point – Psalm 120:1 “I call on the Lord and He answers me.”
Buckle your seatbelts, I am about to take you on a ride!  I truly believe that God ministers to our questions and needs daily, but we either can’t, don’t or won’t hear Him.
Yesterday I really needed to hear God, in fact, the day before I went to seek Him at the cemetery and didn’t “hear” anything.  Caught in this darkness, I prayed asking God for His Word to help me navigate the murky waters I was finding myself in, so the two morning readings grabbed my attention!  As I went about my day yesterday, I thought to myself, I’d like God to show Himself by playing the song “Promise of a Lifetime.”  It came out about 5 years ago.  I then let the thought go and drove to work – I heard nothing.  At work, I never turned the radio on, so again, nothing.  On the way home I was no longer aware that I had even had the thought or made the request.  As I zipped up 485, I heard the opening chords to the song and remembered and felt God’s love pour out on me.  The significance of the words “Will you help me, fall apart, pick me up, take me in Your arms and find my way back from the storm and show me how to grow through the change” were not lost on me!  I thought WOW and yes, I guess He heard me, but He didn’t stop there!  The next song was “Word of God Speak.”  Again, not a new release and its lyrics said about being at a loss for words (my not knowing what or how to pray about the situation at hand), but that it was okay because what I really needed was for God to speak and me to “Hear what You would say”: and “In the quiet hear Your Voice.”  But then He went for the trifeckta, because the next song was “Stronger” and its message was that 1) this situation was not going to last forever. 2) That I should holdfast and 3) that what I’m learning will help me grow stronger.”
Ok, at this point, some may be thinking I’ve lost my ever-loving mind or that, as a friend stated, the coincidence or timing was just ironic or anyone could grasp anything they’d like from any song.  I won’t argue with you – I might wonder about your cynicism or skeptical attitude.  By the way, the three songs played are not “new” releases so the serendipity of timing is interesting!
The point of all of this is why would anyone want to dispute the miracle that is able to be present in our lives every day?  Instead of being jaded, maybe we need to think in the realm of possibilities!  Can or does God talk to us?  I emphatically believe He does, every day in a myriad of ways.  Look at nature, hear the music, read His Word, smell a newborn (before a diaper change is needed!)
Many could say “Well, He’s never spoken to me!” and I might have to beg to disagree with you on that one!  He can do anything, but we are the ones limiting Him.  We set boundaries in our hearts and minds by mocking or being sarcastic about those who claim to have heard Him.  The disparaging mindset makes our spirits say why bother, they won’t believe it anyway.  Why then are you surprised to hear nothing, when you don’t expect to hear it in the first place?  Instead ask God to show off for you and then sit back and wait to be amazed!  Oh and by the way, it doesn’t happen necessarily at the moment you put in your request!
Last story (this disputes what I said above)  and it happened to me about 3 or so years ago.  Again, driving up 485, getting off at my exit, again having a “prove it” moment – which I’m not too proud of needing!  As I come to the stop light at the bottom of the ramp I said “God, I need to “see” you.”  I pull up to the car in front of me and the license reads “I AM.”  I sat there stunned.  And for those who don’t know – God is referred to as being the great “I AM!”
No, you don’t have to believe me.  I dare you to try it for yourself, but first you have to get your hearts/minds in the right spots! 

Looking up!~ Barb

1 comment:

  1. I so totally believe that God speaks to us through music and songs!!! I love this post...it speaks to me and all that I am struggling with these days. Barb, I do believe that you are my "sign" and your words are from our Lord.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete