Monday, August 29, 2011

Life Lessons

Sometimes I wake up and just need to “be” in God’s presence.  This morning was one of those times and when I finally got around to my morning devotional I was amazed at the synchronicity of the thoughts for today.  The first line being “Demonstrate your trust in Me by sitting quietly in My presence.  Put aside all that is waiting to be done and refuse to worry about anything.”  I just have to say, I love it when I get God’s message and then get it confirmed!

I received another message afterwards and it came from Psalm 117:2.
“For great is His love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.”

Just prior to reading this, a friend called and was speaking about my propensity for enduring one-sided relationships.  Sometimes I occasionally grouse about it but more because I see something of potential in them and want to get past the "wall."  I try (but am not always successful) to be compassionate, because I feel that this is exactly what God has demonstrated to us.

Case in point, today’s Psalm.  The word “toward” points out just how fallible we are relationally with God.  Had the author of this psalm used the word “with” the connotation of the message would have been decidedly changed.  Toward means that the majority of what is given is given from one direction – love that doesn’t demand but instead waits with a hope that said love will be recognized and appreciated, maybe even eventually reciprocated.

What do we do in our one-sided relationships?  God’s love is an example to us.  Why should we spend valuable time giving when we get nothing in return?  The best answer I can find is because God does – to each and every one of us, everyday.  Added to that is that He knows ahead of time, who will and who won’t “get it” and He still showers us anyway.  So, who am I to say I’m not willing to share my compassion with someone, just because they don’t reciprocate it?  The simple fact of doing anything with an expectation of return disqualifies the gift of being one of love.  Some, as is written in the song "The Rose" fall under this category, "It's the one who who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give." There are also those who don’t recognize the gift, because of whatever pain they may be feeling at the moment or maybe because they have never received the gift of unconditional love.

Believe me, I am no saint but I have seen the doubt in people’s eyes and have felt the doubt in myself and recognize the need for the practice of unconditionality.  Yes, I get hurt but it is because I allow my “feelings” to get in the way of what originally started out as wanting to be a benevolent spirit.  God’s love is the only love that endures forever!

Looking up!

Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment