Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Only the beginning! Wasn't that a song by Chicago?

A friend saw a couple of my pictures from the wedding and said, “when are you going to blog?” I will just have to admit, I’m still in a state of joyful awe and it has rendered me speechless!  This then progressed to mind-numbing exhaustion that has now resulted in a cold, which I have to get rid of, because there is a repeat performance in Morehead City, NC for the son of some of our closest friends and it is in 3 days.  As a tri-athlete, I can only say, weddings are definitely in a class event of their own!

The absolute joy I felt this weekend is such a gift that to maintain this level of happiness, must be what heaven is like!  There were times I started to worry that I was in a bubble and someone might come and try to “pop” it, and the bubble would magically swerve and avoid all the sharp corners/objects out there!  There are people who will try to zap your joy and this was one occasion where I didn’t want to experience that!

Prior to our adventure, but after shopping for the dress, and partaking in the Malibu Barb(ie) shenigans, our family had gone to a picnic at my brother-in-law’s lake house.  While sitting around the picnic table, my niece asks me, “who is doing your make-up?”  I don’t remember replying, but then she said, she would and then Brooke utters “Oh, thank God!”  Well just tell me what you really think there Brookie!  Here’s the thing, I grew up more interested in bats and balls then in make-up and my Mom being a depression era survivor, wasn’t into make-up either, so I really never learned the fine art of coloring one’s face.  I do recall hearing I needed to blend in my “Covergirl” chinstrap though as a teen, which was probably the last time I used foundation!  But more on that later.  Brooke and I spent Thursday getting our nails done enjoying the mani/pedis and then lunch afterwards before we headed to the pool to soak up the last minute sunrays.  I of course was not cognizant of all the differing tan lines I was accumulating, but at least I looked healthy and I was definitely relaxed!

The real adventure began, on Friday.  Suitcases packed, and the post-it notes that had run amok on every surface imaginable, were taken down as things were loaded into the car.  Somehow our intentions were confused and we wound up having to take everyone’s tuxes up to the wedding (we had volunteered to return them all) and again somehow we were able to squeeze all of this and the floral arrangements into the car forgetting nothing!  That in itself was amazing!

We check into our Inn and immediately headed to the convenience store to purchase soda and beer for all the mini-fridges in our families’ rooms, just a little something we do.  We couldn't take the car to the store because it was still too full of the stuff we couldn’t unload…..so Bruce, Brooke, James and I walked a half-mile carrying beverage suitcases under our arms.  It was only 11 am and we had already bought the store out of Miller Lite!  Again, they don't know the Ryans!

Brooke and I then left to attend the bridesmaid luncheon taking her car.  This was my first foray in driving up in the mountains and the roads were scenic and harrowing.  I remember making a left hand turn – at least there was a sign there, but the road quickly disappeared down a hill that led me to believe that once making the turn I’d be launched into space.  We saw more decks suspended high over trees that would make one feel as if they were in an airplane readying to land and the home we were lunching at was no different.  When we arrived we had to park and I’m one of those who backs in everywhere.  Brooke’s car is an automatic (thank God) because even in drive, if my foot wasn’t on the gas we were drifting backwards in this driveway and the drop off was at least 12 feet and NOT gradual!

From the luncheon we left for the church and the rehearsal.  Smiles and joviality were the main ingredients for this practice run which took over 2 hours….yes really!  How hard is it to say I do?  No, the problems were more that our group was very chatty, to the point that the priest looked over at two of the girls and said, I can separate you two if I have to.  I wonder if a nun had been there if they would have had their knuckles rapped?!  One wonders as the attendant lines waved to and fro, just how all of this would come together and appear perfect on the wedding day!

Rehearsal done and we are all ready to head to the dinner where the setting was perfect.  We were at the lakehouse at the Blowing Rock Country club, the only location up in Blowing Rock that offered seating for 100+ and that is what we were!  Bruce and I greeted everyone as they arrived all I can say is that I now feel ready to run for political office!  Hmmmm I wonder, whose hand did I shake that had a cold?!  Fun was had by all.

I started a tradition, that my Aunt Joan had done with her son, of cutting the apron strings signifying the release of Brent from his Dad and I, to the freedom of his love for his intended, Juli.  Of course, you all know how I like to embellish things……I had gone to the township manager of Matthews and had requested to borrow the Mayor’s scissors…..yes, that added to the “stuff” we had packed in our car!  These scissors stood 5 feet tall!  We had kept them under wraps and when the wait staff came out and presented them to Brent, his look was incredulous!

Toasts were made, dinner was served and before we knew it, it was time to head back to the Inn.  Our group decided to meet and continue our reunion out in front near the lake.  I haven’t a clue where all the people came from, but I’m sure Blowing Rock was a nice quiet community prior to the Ryan’s!  Back in his room, Brent and his guys were singing and it wasn’t the stuff of Kumbaya, but it was all in good fun.  About midnight, Bruce and I headed in for bed and I believe the last of the stragglers left at 12:30.  Somewhere about 2:22 a.m. I heard a fight and being a Mom, I had to look through the blind slats to see who was doing what, except no one was out there.  Here the room we were in was right next to someone who was NOT part of our party and they were flinging stuff in their room.  This continued until about 3:30 intermittently, when someone left.  Finally quiet, but the adrenaline in me was flowing at peak rate!  At 8, their alarm starts blaring and no one is in the room to turn it off!  Ok, so much for rest….and I’m wondering what Minda will do with my raccoon eyes!

I’ll end here….I’m sure there is a limit to blog length.. good thing I’m not tweeting!

Looking up! ~ Barb

1 comment:

  1. Oh my stars!! With a start like that to your day, I can't wait to hear about the rest of it!! Great job on the scissors! I would never have thought about something like that!

    ReplyDelete