Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Wedding Day!

Wedding day….. a continuation of the festivities.  When we arrived in Blowing Rock, only one room was ready – Brooke and James’, so we unloaded all the tuxedos into their closet and went about our day.  The kids stayed up late enjoying the company of their family and friends as previously mentioned. 

Saturday morning arrived, and as is my norm, I awoke early (it was really more of I got out of bed because I never fell asleep!).  I dressed and went to the common room and found family enjoying some breakfast.  Brooke walked in and asked me to drive her to Juli’s parent’s house, where the bridal party was getting ready.  On our way out, I pounded on Brent’s door and just as he had while in high school, he responded “Go away!”

My sister, Marion, decided to accompany Brooke and I over to the Mahoney’s and when we arrived, we found Juli out walking her dogs.  Her parents' house was soon a hub of activity.  We stayed for a short time and then returned to our inn, dropping more “guest” bags off at the Holiday Inn for the guests who were arriving that day.

Brent had left to join his “guys” and James was still sleeping, but not for long, as once all the guys got together they realized they had nothing to wear!  All the tuxes were still in Brooke/James’ room.  This was quickly remedied, and in the transaction, James almost lost his suit as it was between two tuxes!

Time passed quickly and it was soon time for our showers and dressing.  Minda called and we agreed to meet in the common room for her to do my make-up.  I had no idea I was going to have an audience.  Madi, Minda’s daughter was there, my sister-in-law Ang, showed up with camera in hand???!!!  I think she video taped me?!  My sister, Nancy walks in and decides to observe, Bill and Josh were using the Inn’s computer, then Fred and Angie showed up and the group was finally complete when Bruce walked in!  Geez, I felt so exposed! 

Minda is now applying who knows what, she was telling me, but it didn't register and everyone is watching.  As she describes what it is she is doing, Nancy mentions something about how my lips are cracked and Minda tells me about this product called a lip plumper that costs $50 – something that fills in those crevices and I’m thinking I can use this product in all the wrinkles that seem to have sprung up over night!  My dear husband, casually asks if they have a boob plumper, which makes the entire room swell with laughter.  Thanks Bruce!

Makeup done, I head back to my room to put on my dress….you know…. “The Dress” and much to my delight the zipper works! Ok, here we go!  We load into our cars and make our way to the church.  On our way, we receive a phone call stating that we are to take Juli’s bag and put it into Brent’s car, which we are then taking over to the place they will be staying that night.  When we arrive at the church, Brooke hands James a small green canvas bag and as James’ is putting it into the car, he remarks, “Figures Juli would have a tackle box for an overnight bag!”  We laugh and go into the church.  10 minutes later, the monsoon hits.  People were driving right up to the church door (over the curb and onto the pavement) to drop off their passengers.  Juli’s Mom was one of them!

The ceremony, which was well rehearsed the night before, goes off without a hitch.  It was beautiful…..it was fast!  The rains miraculously abate after the pictures at the church.  The wedding party heads out for a 2 hour marathon of pictures….. literally, we thought they had left on their honeymoon they were gone so long.  Bruce, James and I head to Chetola to drop off the kids’ bags and Bruce and James literally empty Brent’s car out in their room.  I mean, did they really think that he would need ALL the things in his SUV?

The reception is a lot of fun.  Juli and her Mom arranged for an old-fashioned photobooth to be on site.  What fun.  We all dress up in various garb and proceed to goof off in the booth.  Two pages of pictures print out, one for a guest book and one as a keepsake.  What a novel idea and the hilarity that went along with it were priceless.  The dancing was a workout like I had not done at the Y. 

.

After the reception, we all headed out to a local hangout to continue the festivities and this was after the reception had been extended an additional hour.

Low and behold, as the story goes, Juli gets to the place she and Brent are staying and asks Brent, where are my clothes?  They look through all the bags and the little green “tackle box” is not Juli’s clothes, but the cleaning supplies from the trolley that transported them around everywhere.  It was filled with paper towels, Windex and polishing cloths!  Brent now has to leave the Inn, go to her parent’s house, find her her clothes, come back and meanwhile we are all over at this bar, waiting on them to show up.  We finally give up and leave and they arrive minutes later.

The next morning is a brunch and the kids were instructed to be there by 8:30 and not hungover!  Brent, Juli, her parents and Brent’s buddies all show up…..Brent calls us at 9:30 to see if we are even up!  I had been up, but I was making a point to get into the hot tub to ease all the sore spots from dancing the night before and I had to wait for a thunderstorm to pass!  The rest were up but just moving slowly!  Good grief, I was feeling 20 years older than my age at this point, I’m not sure of anyone else!  Again, the brunch was a lovely time and the weekend finally comes to its magical end.  We say our goodbyes and headed back to Charlotte – I slept the entire way home. 

Now, a week and a half later and after yet another wedding this past weekend, we are home absolutely exhausted.  I think our party days are well behind us!  More than half of us wound up having colds – I guess we just couldn’t handle the clean, crisp, cool mountain air!

Barb

1 comment:

  1. Oh Barb, it sounds like a marvelous time was had by everyone!! So sorry about the colds though. Just think, you get to do this all over again, but with even more involvement in May!! Ha,ha! I know that you and Brooke will make some great memories...I am so happy for Brent and Juli and so glad that their wedding day was ...well almost...perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete