Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Rockers


Each month, I change my blog’s main picture, this month it was the rockers, February was a sunset and January was a snow scene.  Each of those photos was taken by me and spoke to me about the essence of life.  I love photography and want to continue to learn more about it, I want to keep seeing the beauty in life in the everyday things of life.  The thing is, when I change my blog banner each month, those pictures change all the way back to the beginning.   So, since these chairs spoke to some of you, I’m posting them here.  Ok, I will have to get back to you on that one, they don't seem to want to post???

My friend, Linda, was one who commented to me about these rockers.  She said that the rockers caused her to “feel” something she couldn’t describe.  Whether or not she knew it, or meant it to be, she paid me a huge compliment, because that is exactly what I was trying to capture when I took the picture.  She said she wasn’t sure of the why of her feelings, just that they evoked a feeling of peaceful and quiet times in both her heart and mind.

I feel that these rockers offer both a promise and a memory.  There is the promise of a time when we’d be able to sit down and relax long enough to be able to enjoy the moments at hand.  There is hope here.  The invitation of the setting is one where there is a natural intimacy of belonging, of a give and take exchange going on with each movement to and fro.  Words may or may not be spoken, and yet there is still a feeling of connectedness.   It is simple, nothing is required but for two people to show up (coffee or wine optional).  The rockers sit just beyond a pond my husband and I built.  When rocking you hear the gentle sound of our waterfall trickling down the rocks, soothing your senses or, you might hear the burp of the bullfrog that has somehow positioned itself underneath the netting that keeps the leaves out of the pond.  What I hope you feel is God’s peace.

The memory portion of the picture serves as a reminder of days past, of times when we took the time to spontaneously drop by and chat.  When I travel down memory lane, I yearn for those type of moments and miss the casualness between friends and neighbors.  Time was less structured then, you didn’t worry so much about the condition of your house, but then again, you weren’t working so hard to keep accumulating more things that both need to be dusted and paid for!  You “were” and that was enough.

As I age, and today is as good as any day to do it, ha, it’s my birthday, the presents I most enjoy are the presence of the people I care for.  Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the gifts given, but would like to say for future birthdays, lets give the gift of time.  Come sit in my rockers, enjoy the tranquility of nature, think about creating your own intimate lounging space, but most importantly, invite someone to share that space and use it often!

Looking up!~Barb

2 comments:

  1. Oh my.....what a wonderful sentiment you have shared...thanks so much, Barb ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, how beautiful is this post?? I mean, damn girl, you should be a writer for sure!!!! I want those rockers and the peaceful times that they represent!

    Invite me anyday!!
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete