Monday, December 12, 2011

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for; the conviction of things we cannot see


Faith is the assurance of things hoped for; the conviction of things we cannot see – Hebrews 11:1

So what do you hope for?

I’ve been close to a few meltdowns this past week.  “Things” aren’t going the way I would like them to and I’m trying not to sound as if I’m a spoiled brat; I am fully aware that others too are facing situations not to their liking!  So, when I came across this passage in my devotional, I will admit it gave me pause.

What do I hope for?  And to be honest, I don’t know!  When I stopped and thought about it, everything seemed so trivial in comparison to the on goings in others lives.
In my younger years, my answer may have appeared as a Christmas wish list, but now that I’m older, I’m not so cavalier in my wants.  I know that I am blessed with a God who has provided me with many blessings including health, family, and friends.  If my “faith” was of a more substantial status, I’d realize that having God is more than enough, but and there should be no buts, I’m flummoxed by the trappings of this earthly life that have me unfortunately overly conscious with my bank account (or lack thereof!)

I’m not looking for a quick fix or easy remedies; I’m truly conscious of the need to be dependant on God for everything as well as the need to be patient in waiting for His timing!  And I may sound like Wendy Whiner, but waiting is hard…..Anyone?

I said to my husband last evening, that sometimes we don’t “have” because we don’t “ask.”  And a lot of times, we don’t ask, because we are so darn self-sufficient we don’t’ think we have to – which just points to issues with pride running amuck!  Or, if we ask, we are impatient and take matters into our own hands, much the same way that Abraham and Sarah did, when Sarah couldn’t conceive and she then had her “servant” sub in for her.  God had a plan and he spoke of the plan to Abraham and God told him that he and Sarah would be parents….but when it didn’t happen when they thought it should…..well, God’s plan was for it to happen when it would seem inconceivable (no pun intended) at Sarah’s ripe old age of 99.  Jeez can you imagine?!

Getting back to my “things” hoped for – sure I could say, peace on earth…yada, yada, yada but I think God wants me to be more specific in my requests.  I could ask for financial blessings, but in that request, it takes my dependency on God out of the picture…..it is after all, where I use to be!  I have a “job,” maybe not the one I think I should have but apparently the one God thinks I should have… for this season anyway.

Which leads me to the only “thing” I can think of to put into this equation.  I wish for wisdom (like Solomon) and have to admit that in thinking this way I will be able to appreciate the many other facets of life that enable me to feel fulfilled.

When you have seemingly had it all and parts of your “core” start being eroded and you have to release key pieces, (be they people, or jobs or things), you quickly come to the realization that it is the relationships you want to hold onto most of all.  Jobs/things can be replaced.  People, not so easily!

Are any of us ready for when the “what ifs” of life happen?  What if – business fails, what if a loved one dies, what if my marriage doesn’t work out, what if I get sick, what if, what if, what if….  All of these things eventually happen to us in some fashion, maybe not all of them, but some of them.  Without faith and that assurance that God is out there, ready, willing and able to help us, I personally don’t know how I’d handle it.  I’m convicted without a shadow of a doubt that I will be met in every dark moment in life as long as I “ask” for His help.  I am certain that He will answer me, maybe not in the manner I think, but in one way or another!  I won’t be left hanging out to dry.

It has taken me a long time to get to this place.  It would have been easier and a lot more comfortable to have been able to have stayed cocooned, but God has this wonderful habit of taking caterpillars and making us into beautiful butterflies.  It is in trials/hardships that our wings develop strength as we work our way through the cocoon.

Maybe the things hoped for, should be the wisdom to already appreciate the things He has already provided!

Looking up!

Barb



No comments:

Post a Comment