Thursday, August 18, 2011

I'm not......

Have you ever uttered the words…”I’m  not”__________  followed by enough?  There are all sorts of words we can use that can fit that blank – rich, thin, pretty, smart, fast, tall, big, talented, young, or old are just a few, but the word for me today, was experienced.  I have all sorts of pieces of paper with my name on it stating that I have passed this or that, that I’ve accomplished such and such goals,  I have raised two children (and they turned out okay – oops sorry, my standards), I’ve graduated from elementary, junior high, high school and college but the piece of paper I’m lacking,  is the certificate from the school of hardknocks and that seems to be the one I’ve mastered in, I just don’t have the piece of paper to prove it!  The school of hard knocks seemingly emphasizes the “I’m not” statement and interestingly this is on a sliding scale of an unknown model.  Some would have the lack of experience be a trainable feature, just not in the jobs I’m applying for! 

I received another rejection (although this time I actually was rejected over the phone by a person not a form letter).  The interviewer asked about my experience, because it didn’t show up on my resume.  I was happy to fill her in, but the qualifier for the position was that I had to have been “paid” for my services for them to count.  Isn’t that illegal?  Oh wait, we aren’t talking prostitution, we’re applying for a job.  Sorry!  I’m trying not to be discouraged here, but I’m having difficulty.  I remember encouraging my son when he was looking for a job and he was worried about his youth and lack of experience; I suggested that he make some statement to the effect of “tell your prospective employers that you won’t have to unlearn bad habits, that you are completely malleable to their way of doing whatever the position calls for.”  Seems to have worked, he’s got a great job. 

I can understand needing experience if I was trying to work as a nuclear power plant builder – hmmmmmm, I wonder where they got their experience, you know, the first guy they hired…..This isn’t a bitter diatribe, this is in fact a stress reliever with the intent that others may relate to my situation and if you do, I’d love to hear how and what you did to move past it.

By the way, the position I am seeking was one where I had to pay to take a class, pay to take a test and pass to get my license.  The job requirements are to have passed high school, and be in good standing with the state association and it involves care-giving.  Now, don’t misunderstand me, there are standards of care that should and do need to be met, that I’m not quibbling with; but having volunteered as well as “interned”, I am well aware that my standard of administering care is above average and especially when compared to what I have seen dispensed recently.  I may not have “paid” experience, but I have professional references, who can attest to my abilities.  I have cared for others as they have gone through various cancers and the level of care I performed was no different than what I would be asked to adminster for pay.  Who knew I should have been charging?!  Some would say, well just go suck it up and go somewhere to get experience and yes, I could do so, but I am not a job hopper and as I said to the nice woman who did the telephone interview, I just don’t believe in going after something I don’t plan to stick with.  It kind of wastes everyone’s time doesn’t it? 

When I hung up the phone after the rejection call, my first reaction were tears, my second was to pray that God show me the path, because I just don’t seem to be getting it! This is my third reaction and in the background Abba’s singing….”Take a chance on me”. 

If you see me, I’ll be looking…… and just so you know......"I'm not" is just the lie of the enemy, because God promises us that He is (enough) and together with Him the only "I'm not" that is true, is that I'm not defeated!

Looking up!

Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment