Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Are we for real?

Hey there friends, sorry for the absence, I’ve been under review for a bit, just doing a necessary re-eval as to what is and isn’t important (in my opinion).  Sometimes when we struggle in life, it does us good to pull up and stop the insanity for a bit.  I’ve been there recently and it wasn’t a good feeling, hopefully I’m on my way back.

I have been blessed with so much in my life and for the past 5 years, events have taken a turn from the seemingly easy side of life, to one where I am being made to take a position on where I stand about the things in my life.  Life as I use to enjoy has changed dramatically.  I’m talking socially, financially, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.  Not all have been “bad” changes, but still changes nonetheless.

Friendships and finances have come and gone, physically and mentally I’ve been challenged which has resulted in emotional changes as well.  But the biggest change that has come about in me is in the spiritual sense and I feel that it is because all of the aforementioned areas which have taken a beating.   Finally I learned to lean on God.  And you know what?  I wouldn’t have it any other way, only maybe wishing I would have come to the realization sooner!

“Blessing is not found in the amount of stuff we surround ourselves with but in the joy we receive from doing the will of God – in the contentment we find in needing less and trusting God with our supply.  The blessings of God come to those who find nothing more valuable than doing His will.”

Now compare the above statement taken from the book “Unstuff” by Hayley and Micheal Dimarco and compare that with a recent show I watched on television where they were highlighting the most recent up-to-date bathroom amenities.  There was a toilet that did everything imaginable but wipe your backside (and it might have offered that as a feature; I may have missed it).  The toilet cost upwards of $6000.  When I “IMed” a friend about that on Facebook, her comment was Holy S**T.  I’m not sure if she knew her comment was a great play on words, but I’m running with it.  Loosely! Waht a waste!  Literally and figuratively! 

There are people who live in this country who don’t have money for homes, food, clothing etc. and yet there are some who have money  enough to even toy with the idea of buying a toilet at that price…..and don’t even get me started on million dollar buses!  Any attempt to try to dispute that statement is a rationalization of why anything that grandiose is necessary.  Have we lost our ever loving minds?!  Everything permissable is not necessarily beneficial!

For the past 4 years, business has taken its toll on our finances and it has made me look at things from a very different perspective and I’d be a fool to say I haven’t learned anything from this…..but I’m more than ready for the lesson to be over.  But, and I’d like to say when, but I’m not sure when will ever occur for us, but when the economy finally gets back on track, I plan to take these lessons and keep applying them for what they are – truth!

Clutter (having too much stuff) is a silent destructive force destined to make us keep seeking the “high” it gives us.  We are its slave, watching helplessly as it ruins us financially sapping our joy thus ruining us emotionally.  There will always be bigger, better, and newer stuff for us to buy.  The more we buy, yes, it helps our economy grow…..well it would if the stuff bought was made in America…..that said, the more we buy the more stress we find ourselves having to deal with because we then have to “work” to maintain it.  This is ultimately killing us and then what becomes of all of our stuff?  It either gets thrown out or passed down to our kids who don’t know what to do with it.

Want to feel good about yourself?  A friend and I just took a bunch of our stuff down to Crisis Assistance Ministries here in Charlotte.  We donated it and it won’t be re-sold, but instead given to those who are in need.  Does your town have one of these ministries?  I was at a party 2 weekends ago and was appalled to find out that one of the big retailers actually gets rid of their “food” by throwing it out because they are worried about liability issues.  Their furniture gets mashed up in a compactor, I’m not exactly sure why…..but again it could be because of liability issues.  All because we live in a “sue” happy world, looking to get rich off our stupidity, when we dump hot coffee in our laps because we have to have it in our cars as we drive while we  juggle our phones, razors, combs and lipstick while we are driving.  Oh, I forgot to mention the books and newspapers being read while some drive as well!

Wow!  Maybe I’m not ready to be back yet.  Do any of us see ourselves in any of this?  Is it only me?  Sorry if I offended anyone, but can we just get real!

Looking up!

Barb

1 comment:

  1. Why can't we get the furniture and the food and recycle them to places that are in need?? There HAS to be a way. Let's put our heads together and see if we can think of something :) Surely we can contact the right people and make a difference for those with less!! I loved this post, but it made me want to go and clean out my closets!!!

    Love you,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete