Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Voices

Two weeks ago, during a Bible study, the question arose, is it possible to hear God’s voice?  I said yes, and from there, the conversation got interesting.  Someone asked how did you know?  Someone asked what did it sound like?  And basically all I could tell them was that it was a feeling that came over me which then turned into a deeper discussion about the fickleness of feelings.

I am pretty open in sharing my opinions.  I don’t necessarily always think I’m right, but I’m open to and always inviting discussions.   That said, I’m not a very good debater, because I can’t always come up with the necessary facts to support my beliefs…….at the time they are being debated.  I know others have had the situation whereby the “quip” they need in response, comes back 2 hours after the conversation is over!  Yeah, that would include me.

Sometimes I share the same story, because I want to emphasize a point.  This will be one of those times.  When Nanc was sick (pancreatic cancer), I went to bed thinking about the enormity of what this disease meant; I knew the statistics, but didn’t want to assume anything.  In the middle of the night, I “woke up” crying, (which did not awaken my husband?) and I heard what I am saying was God’s voice.  I wasn’t scared, I was just gently being asked a two part question about whether or not I wanted to be involved in Nancy’s care and whether or not I’d be able to her go, should it come to that.  I said no….because I didn’t know how to care for her and secondly, that I wouldn’t be able to let go.  I felt terrible, this was someone I considered my best friend and I was denying her.  At that point, I was assured that everything I would need to care for her, would be provided, so my no became an emphatic yes.  I would worry about letting go, only should it become necessary.  This conversation was real, as real as any I might have with anyone standing in my presence.

Anyway, I raised some eyebrows recanting this story because I’m sure some thought I was “dreaming this” or that I’m completely nuts.

This morning while reading my devotional, I came across the “quip” I needed two weeks ago.  It said, “Miss anything else, but do not miss My voice.  Other voices may introduce disharmony, but My voice will always bring peace to your heart and clarity to your thinking.  For when you turn to the left or right, you will hear My voice behind you saying:  This is the way, walk in it.”  (Come Away my Beloved)

I wish that I was always able to hear God’s voice that clearly!  Most times I am too cluttered in my thinking to allow myself to be vulnerable enough.  God uses us in our weakest moments, any other time we are too busy being self-sufficient!

The ending to that story about Nancy was that we were all amazed at the number of times when I would “know” what it was that she needed and exactly at the time she needed it.  An example is the time, early in the morning on a Saturday, when I just showed up at her house, walking in the door, into her room as she was saying to her husband, call Barb.  They looked at me, I shrugged, how did I know to come?  I don’t have an answer for that other than to say, it was God who supplied everything, I was just willing to be His vessel.

Without a shadow of a doubt, I believe that He talks to us, the problem isn’t that He doesn’t, the problem is that we aren’t listening.  The new picture on my blog was one I took Easter morning at the cemetery’s sunrise service.  I hear God’s voice in this picture.  It is inviting all to a place of comfort, of tranquility.  As the rockers have served as place of contentment, I hope this picture can also serve as a sanctuary of reassurance.  Put yourself in this place…..can you hear Him?
Looking up! ~Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment