Monday, April 11, 2011

The Blooms of Patience

There is something about sitting outside in the early morning hours that I just absolutely relish.  Today, as I sip a cup of Blueberry Cobbler coffee, with French vanilla cream, I am once again reminded that “By the Grace of God, I am what I am” 1 Corinthians 15:10 and it is the verse written on my coffee cup, given to me by a good friend. 

I read 3 different devotionals every morning and today, as I sit outside on an overcast morning, the sun is trying to do its breakout dance and tears just stream down my face, no, I’m not sad, it is that my heart is overflowing.

You see, I read that God is the Author of my life and as I try to comprehend and write of the significance of this, I find my words inadequate.  It would be very easy to stop there and think of the “bad” things that have occurred in my life and to grow distrustful of God, and many times that is exactly what does happen.  But, what I am learning is that we assume our endings rather than develop the patience of waiting for God’s outcome!

In another devotional, it talked about how patience is needed in gardening and how that same patience is needed when we carry it over to our relationships with our spouses, our kids and our friends.  Yes, we may plant the seeds of our love and then water them with our prayers and sometimes our tears, but the growth of these relationships, like the blooms of our gardens is totally dependent on God and His timing.  Whether or not we see it, there is growth going on each day.  We just need to trust it.

Finally the third devotional added this clarity for me.  It stated that weariness can overtake us if the road/relationship we are on/in isn’t the pathway that God had planned for us.  I wish I could convey to you, just how poignantly I’ve been able to feel this.  Simply said, when I am doing what I feel is what God intended, I have an energy that doesn’t quit!  I have to wonder then why I allow myself to get on the roads or in the relationships that cause me to feel otherwise!  We need to learn to cultivate our gardens, pulling out that which hinders the ability for the blooms to grow in profusion and sometimes this necessity is painful.

The sun did it, it is out and beaming, almost like a reward as if my thoughts have mirrored what He has wanted me to hear.  I am also aware that the caw of the crow that has been mocking the airwaves is growing distant as it leaves me amidst the sound of my burbling waterfall of my pond.  I think I will go grab a fresh cup of Blueberry Cobbler and sit back and enjoy the beauty of my azaleas scattered underneath our dogwoods.

Yes, my heart is overflowing!

Looking up!~Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment