Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ah, sheet

At one point in my life I thought I’d like to write a book, and there are bits and pieces of attempted notes for the novels I have stopped and started laying, around my house.  I really enjoy writing, putting pen to paper, well fingers to keyboard now, when I actually do try to write longhand, my hand gets a cramp in it?!  I haven’t determined if that is an age thing or from lack of use!  Anyway I digress, writing is a release of pent up feelings for me.  Originally I use to put out, (not in today’s sense of that word, mind you)  so let me re-phrase that, I use to write my thoughts and share them especially around my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving.  Then just last August, I went back to school and obtained my CNA license.  The only thing to come out of that so far is this blog!  While in class, we had to write papers about the way we would handle various scenarios we might have encountered while working in a medical facility.  Our grades were Outstanding, satisfactory or unsatisfactory.  I have been out of school for the past 33 years, writing a paper I thought was going to be torture.  In fact, when in college, I dreaded doing it!  Anyway, what I seemed to remember from reading my kids papers was that the details were sometimes found lacking.  With that in mind, I made sure, my “papers” were detailed.  My poor instructor had to grade these things and mine were always a minimum of 3 pages.  I pretty much covered every scenario known to man in them!

My husband and I purchased a Sleep-Number bed about 5 years ago.  I can hear you thinking, how is she going to segue from school papers and correlate it with her bed.  Ha ha.  Watch me!  I don’t remember the model number of the bed, but it is what is called an “expanded queen”, which means it is bigger than a queen but smaller than a king, in width.  Stay with me now.  Bruce and I have two golden retrievers, both of which like to jump up and spend some part if not all of the night in our bed.  Well, I’ve now lost some of you….anyway, our bedroom is not large enough to accomdate a king-sized bed, but we felt it could handle the expanded queen.  When we purchased this, we never even thought about the sheets we’d need for this bed.  Okay, watch, because this is how it relates to the college papers.  The sheets we bought are made by the company who makes the bedding.  So, my question has been, over the last 5 years, why, don’t the manufacturers of this bed realize that the top sheet needs to be able to fit over the people who sleep in the bed and actually drape down the sides of the bed so that you rump isn’t exposed all night!!!!  The attention is in the details…..just like my college papers!

We have run the gamut with various manufacturers trying to get the sheets to fit.  Now, we have gotten a great fitting bottom sheet, but over time it has worn out.  I said it, because we weren’t buying two sets of sheets until we could get the top sheet thing worked out.  These sheets cost $209 a set, and don’t include pillowcases!!!  The thread count is nice, but they aren’t the top of the line either!  Before anyone says it, I don’t sew!  AND they won’t sell me just the bottom sheets, I have to get them in a set!  When we first bought the bed, we must have sent 4 sets of sheets back and forth through the mail, until they finally got sick of us and sent us a bottom sheet for the expanded queen and a king-size top sheet for the top.  This was the perfect answer to the problem.  But they won’t do it this time.  I wash our bedding every week, so you can see that we are clean people, I follow the manufacturer’s directions when washing and drying these sheets!  Washing in cold water?  Drying on low?  Are we really supposed to “kill” germs that way?  Again, I digress!

Picture a dining room table with a table cloth on it.  The cloth drapes down the sides of the table right?!  Now where am I going you wonder…..  On our bedding the mattress is 8” thick and we bought the sheets based on the bed’s model number, so the manufacturer already knows the size of the mattress.  (Some beds can have upto a 15” mattress- for the princess and the pea types I guess).  Anyway, we get the sheets, I wash and dry them and then put them on the bed, it drapes down about 8” and you’re thinking whats the problem.  The problem is that I’m not in bed yet and neither is my husband.  Neither of us are “big” people, and you will just have to trust me on that one.  Without going into too much detail, one of us likes to be “tucked” in and that ain’t happening!  On any given night, we both feel the cool draft of the winter air blowing up our backs and it isn’t from gas!

We are now on our fourth try in getting this problem remedied and again, we are talking one set of sheets!  The company has now refunded our money and is going to send us sheets at no charge, which is really very nice of them.  The thing is, in all of our other attempts, they said they measured the sheets.  On two occasions the measurements of the top sheet denoted on the outside of the package was a full 4 inches shorter than what the sheets measured upon opening and prior to washing!  Oh, and by the way, the sheets shrunk 4 inches upon washing as well!

Now again, this is not just this manufacturer.  My kids beds are standard size beds and none of the top sheets fit right there either, but on my daughter’s full size bed, the bottom sheet pockets are so huge that anyone who comes as a guest and sleeps in that bed (our daughter has moved out) wakes up with wrinkles all over their bodies – well at least that’s what they say, I’m not looking!

Is this a conspiracy?  Please let me in on any secrets on the remedy of this situation, I will be beyond grateful!

Looking up!~Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment