Thursday, November 29, 2012

Light

John 8:12 states that Jesus said to the people, "I am the Light of the World. If you follow me, you won’t be stumbling through the darkness because you will have the light that brings you life.
It’s been 2 months since I called hospice in for my husband. A signaling to the outside world and an admittance to myself and our kids, that Bruce’s time on this earth was drawing to a close. Since that time, I have felt enveloped in a soul darkness. Last evening as I stood outside in the chilled, no make that downright cold air of the night, the moon was full and the sky was clear and I was enthralled by the picture depicted. I wanted to capture that picture, to gaze on it as needed.

Various members of my family have had the good fortune of having "Bruce" sightings, of which I am envious. My best friend is moving ahead with her career. And I’m left to wonder, what will become of me! I am in a way, envious of those who have life, while I sit and wonder about my own. I understand that this is the time that I am to grieve, but in busying myself with the periphery of life, I’ve also blocked myself from the light.

This morning, I awoke, grabbed a cup of coffee, my Bible and a blanket – it is still cold outside, after all… and sat in one of my rockers. The verse that kept coming to me was "I am the Light of the World…" I sat there taking in the sunrise and as the day dawned, the meaning of that verse took shape in my mind.

God gave us his Son. Humans only understand the world in the tangibles. Son = Sun. It is always when simplifying and becoming childlike that we are able to draw close to God. As I sat out there freezing my butt off, I watched as the sun formed its path, not across the sky, but across the dew on the grass and the fallen leaves on the ground. The sparkle of the sun on those leaves lit up the pathway in my mind. The only commandment is to love. Love others, but what about loving self?
Following Christ is searching and finding the simplicity of following the trail created by the sun. Sun = Son.

I looked upwards at this point and scanned a nearby tree. The bark was interesting, (oh no my daughter would be thinking….here goes Mom and her discussion of treebark! LOL). What I also took in were the scars along the way, where dead branches had fallen off and were healed over. Midway up there was a solitary twig with a leaf on it…reaching for the sun. When my gaze hit the top of the tree crowned in its slowly fading glory, it hit me. The Light that leads to life. Even the trees get it!
Jesus said to the people, "I am the Light of the World. If you follow me, you won’t be stumbling around in the darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life. The operative word is "if". "If" a seemingly insignificant word that opens up the way for us. It is a choice that allows for possiblity.

Looking up!
Barb

1 comment:

  1. I will never look at a tree again without thinking of this lovely post! Thanks, Barb, for being a light for others even as you struggle to find your own!

    ReplyDelete