Saturday, July 2, 2011

What's your secret?

You know, the one thing that if anyone found out about you, you would feel you would die of mortification?  We all have them, whether or not we admit them, some might be worse than others, but that really is in the mind’s eye of the one retaining the secret.

We all have pasts, and our pasts aren’t perfect but instead of allowing our pasts to hold us captive, we need to re-think that past as being part of the experience that led us to where we are today.  Certainly if your or my past is something we are ashamed of, we hopefully aren’t continuing on with it and should let it go.

Sometimes our pasts have hurt people, even people we care about and sometimes we can tell them we are sorry and other times we can’t – because we’ve lost touch with them or they have passed on, in these cases we carry around heavy loads of guilt that keep us from being able to experience life in the manner which God, our Father wishes us to.  My answer to how to handle this, would be to write a note, releasing that which binds you to error in judgment and then give it to God and then burn the note.

Sometimes we confide in a friend, and if I am that friend I want you to know that that confidence is being held to the grave and beyond.  My point being that in sharing sometimes that burden can be released and hopefully allow the clog in the system to open and allow for movement ahead.

There is another source though, and this source is the one who knows you better than anyone on earth.  He knows you from the time you were formed and He knows your faults before you’ve even committed any errors in judgments.  It would be natural to then think, since God knows all about you, then why does He allow you to make missteps in your life?

The answer – because He wants you to choose to want to walk toward Him.  Anything forced is well, forced and when I’m put in that position, I rear back and don’t go willingly.

The same go for friendships.  The people who bless my life are those who willingly want the connection and make the effort, as do I, to perpetuate the bond whether it is familial or not.

I have recently had the experience whereby a friendship was put to the test and it was a grueling test and one where it would have been quite easy to give up on, but in maintaining the association and facing the glitches head-on, it is my sincere hope that a stronger foundation is being poured and it will allow for growth.

We are not whatever our worst mistakes are.  We are human beings prone to screw-ups, even repeated screw-ups.  I just find it sad when people think they are beyond anyone being able to understand that they are not the only ones screwing up in life.

The saddest days for me are when I see people I care about floundering about, projecting needs but denying them, maybe even thinking no one out there cares enough to listen or that if they admitted to a mistake, they would be laughed at or scorned.

I’m about to start my hospice volunteer work – no kudos please, I mention it in passing because I have been made acutely aware of a segment of the population who feels extremely lonely and the underlying feeling is that many of these people have gotten to the end of their lives and they just want to be connected, to matter……to someone. To not feel alone.  Might we all get there and feel that way?

I don’t know how many ways to say to those I love – please stop waiting for the perfect “time” to make your connections – you will make time for whatever is important enough to you, I am hearing more and more regrets being spoken as the end draws near.

Looking up!~ Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment