Saturday, June 11, 2011

I Care.....Still

Some 27 years ago my Mom wrote me a short letter - as follows:

"There  are stories about lovers and stories about others - but you don't often see a story about mothers.

Written by one.

There's a sign on a street in our neighborhood, that says "Deaf child at play".... and I thought "how kind: that somebody cared enough to do that.....and how sad for the mother of that child.  There are signs that say "Blind crossing" and there are wheelchair ramps for those who can't walk.  And how sorrowful it must be to the mothers of such children. 

There are other mothers whose children can see but won't look - who can hear but won't listen - and who stumble around trying to find themselves but won't accept your help.  There is sorrow and hurt for those mothers and tears in the night.  But no one puts up a sign for their children.

So I will   (and then she drew a sign in a clump of grass, that read)
 "I care"

As I was collecting various thoughts getting ready for my son's wedding next weekend, I thought back to this note.  I don't necessarily recall what it was I was going through, but somehow I survived it.  Isn't this the essence of what we Moms go through for our kids.  I wrote my own version of this letter to both my kids at some point in their lives.  I wonder if they, when preparing for their own kids weddings, will reflect back like I am right now.

Thanks Mom, if you could only know how much you mean to me.  If I could only reach back inside your mind and turn things around so that you could be with us next weekend.  I will miss having you there more than you can possibly know, because it was to you that I looked to as an example for all my parenting qualms.  Your strength, your wisdom, your love, your kindnesses all lead me to where I am today.

It is a bittersweet moment for me, but I know how you would handle it, with a smile on your face yet with a tear in your heart!  I hope  you know I consider you my first best friend!

Looking up! !~ Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment