Friday, May 27, 2011

Broken Mosaic

I never realized how one’s life revolves around a theme.  I find it remarkable that in reading three different devotionals on a daily basis how they distinctly speak to the issues currently running in my life.

Brokenness has been the theme recently and one might wonder what and why this is allowed for us.  When things break in our household, depending on the severity of the break or the usefulness of the item, we either “fix” it or throw it away.  We humans tend to be perfectionists and instead of seeing the character in something that is flawed, we cast it aside, and look for something else.

But what if the flawed thing isn’t a thing, but a person?  What if it is you?  I’ll admit right here and now, I’m hopelessly flawed and the flaws are not ones I’m proud of.  I cry out daily to God to use me to reach others despite my flaws, not because I’m good rather in spite of my not being that way.

I am deeply saddened to have watched a friend self-destruct to the point of losing everything we value in life.  Even though we didn’t stand idly by, she wasn’t able to hear the warnings or see the love we made available to her.  My prayer for her now is that having reached the epitome of this brokenness that she finally let God take control in her life, refashioning the tattered pieces of her life that once pieced back together will reflect His image.  That would be an example of a miracle in a life that would show the world, yes, He exists.  There are many such miracles out there, I just want this one for her!

This is the same miracle I claim to have happened in me.  My circumstances may have been different, but I will tell you without a shadow of a doubt, I was broken and when I get caught up in the trappings of this world, I get re-broken.  The way that I try to steer clear of this painful process…..”each morning as I sit with God and allow myself to “put Him on” and then “wear Him”, He clothes me for whatever comes my way that day.”  – Jesus Calling

We are often referred to as being like clay pots, so if we are those clay pots that Jesus resides in and we aren’t broken, His light will not shine through us.  However, if we allow ourselves the brokenness then He can repair us by His design allowing for a beautiful mosaic that allows for His light to be illuminated through the cracks in our pots.  Our characters, our flaws are precisely what He needs to show a broken world “His light.”  Our characters/flaws are the way we are able to connect with others, who see us as imperfect, like them and they can thereby relate to us.  No one can really relate to a perfect person, because NO ONE but God is perfect!

“Perfect” want-to-bes (people or things) wind up being positioned on a shelf in life to be admired only.  Touching perfection would mar its beauty.  Do you really want that for yourself?  To be cast up on a shelf, untouchable?  I would think it would be rather lonely.  Love, like a well-worn book, is meant to be touched, handled with care and read repeatedly and even if the pages are worn the message is still able to be understood.

Looking up!~ Barb

1 comment:

  1. If broken is good, then I am in a good place. Lifting up your friend, Barb, and I know that you will still be pulling and praying for her everyday no matter what her circumstances. Pray for me that way, too, and I know God will give me peace from my brokeness. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete